Friday, September 19, 2014

Geography-Travel the World Series

Almost ten years ago was that terrible tsunami in Sri Lanka.  I'm embarrassed to say that my hubby and I huddled around the globe to locate the tiny country that received such devastation.  We had a general idea....but that was it.  

At that moment, I decided that my children would learn better geography skills than I possessed.  So I've come up with this study program for them to do.  The wonderful thing is that this program can/will be used for years as they can do as many levels each month as they wish.  

I have a blank world map hanging on the wall that we use to test with.

Each month, I print out the sheet corresponding to that month's study and then I give them a blank map to fill in themselves.  It gives them ownership of what they are doing.  I designed the program to go over countries, capitals, vocabulary terms, oceans, lakes, rivers, mountains, deserts.  Here's a look at month one and two.  September is a short month because we're getting into the swing of things so that only has two levels.  If your child knows these already you can move onto level two.  I've designed a ten month program.  


Month one
Level one – Back to Basics
North America
South America
Europe
Asia
Africa
Australia
Antartica

Level two
Atlantic Ocean
Pacific Ocean
Artic Ocean
Indian Ocean
Southern Ocean


Vocabulary:
Continent

Island

Ocean



Month two-North America

Level One
Greenland
Canada
United States
Mexico
Cuba

Level Two
Newfoundland
Quebec
Ontario
Manitoba

Level Three
Alberta
British Columbia
Northwest Territories
Saskatchewan

Level Four
Lake Superior
Lake Michigan
Lake Huron
Lake Erie
Lake Ontario


Vocabulary
Bay

Peninsula

Coastline


There is a printable version of this here.

Enjoy!



1 comment :

  1. Awesome! You are so creative. I am not great at Geography either.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, friend for visiting today!
Please leave me a message and a link to your blog!